January 14, 2022
Ryan Quinn scored a dramatic injury time goal to send Holy Trinity Cookstown into the last four of the Danske Bank MacRory Cup at the expense of a gallant Abbey CBS side.
The Abbey got off to the perfect start inside the opening 30 seconds with a fine left footed effort from Niall Furlong and they doubled their lead a minute later through a Luke McKeever free. Shea Lawn opened the Holy Trinity account in the third minute, and they were level soon after when Moortown clubmate Blaine Ryan blazed over. A Shea Quinn point put them in front for the first time before Ruairi McHugh sent over a beauty with the outside of his right foot.
He repeated the dose a minute later, this time from a free kick outside the 45m line, and Holy Trinity were opening a commanding lead. An Eoin Loughran free steadied the ship for the Abbey, as they trailed 0-5 to 0-3 at the water break.
When play resumed Darcy Burns closed the gap to one with a fine score, before Abbey were dealt a blow with Fiachra McEvoy shown a black card. Scores were traded between Lawn and Loughran before Shea Quinn landed his second of the evening with the outside of the right. But the final score of the half came from Bernard Cassidy, neatly slotting over as advantage was being played, to close the gap to one at the half time break.
Pearse Blessing opened the second half scoring and levelled the game with both sides wasting a number of good scoring opportunities. A Luke McKeever free edged the Abbey ahead in the 40th minute, but wasted an excellent opportunity to double the lead just before the water break with another placed ball.
With 10 minutes to go the Abbey were reduced to 14 men, with Fiachra McEvoy receiving a yellow card to go along with his earlier black. McKeever added another free to stretch the lead to two before Holy Trinity finally scored their first score of the half, a Shea Lawn free in the 53rd minute. Another Lawn free levelled matters as the game headed into injury time, before Ryan Quinn struck late on.
Abbey CBS: A Kelly; M McSwiggan, F Murdock, D Ruddy; F McEvoy, A Ó Callaghan, E McKernan (C); A Havern, P Blessing; D Burns, Z Murdock, B Cassidy; N Furlong, L McKeever, E Loughran.
Subs: J McGivern for Burns (41), K McEvoy for Havern (60)
Holy Trinity: R Smith; S Hughes, L Cullen, C Kelly; M O Devlin, B Hampsey, C Devlin; R McHugh, B Ryan; O O’Driscoll, S Quinn, J Martin; S Lawn, P Loughran, M McElhatton.
Subs: T Devlin for O’Driscoll (25), R Quinn for P Loughran (HT)
Abbey CBS Scorers: E Loughran 0-3 (3f); L McKeever 0-2 (2f); N Furlong, D Burns, B Cassidy, P Blessing, Z Murdock 0-1 each.
Holy Trinity Scorers: S Lawn 0-3 (1 ’45, 1f); R Quinn 1-0, R McHugh 0-2 (1f), S Quinn 0-2, B Ryan 0-1.