Maghera down holders in Mageean quarter-final

October 10, 2017

Danske Bank Mageean Cup quarter-final

St Patrick’s Maghera 5-16 St Mary’s Belfast 0-13

Holders St Mary’s Belfast crashed out of the 2017 Danske Bank Mageean Cup at the quarter-final stage to a rampant St Patrick’s Maghera side in Ballymena yesterday.

Maghera’s had a greater physical presence in the tackle, particularly during the second half when the weather deteriorated, and they were able to burst past players and set up chances, while long range free-taker Richie Mullan fired over a total of eight points, six of which were from the 65 metres’ line or beyond.

Yet St Mary’s played well during the opening half when they faced the breeze and would have been happy enough with their performance, apart from a 7th minute mix up in the defence which presented Peadar McLaughlin with the opening goal.

The holders were trailing 1-6 to 0-5 going into first half injury time, three of the Belfast points coming from the stick of Aaron Bradley. However Richie Mullan floated over two frees from distance before the short whistle to open a six points’ gap between the teams.

It was 1-10 to 0-7 ten minutes into the second half when Tiernan McHugh neatly flicked a high dropping ball to the Belfast net. Two minutes later Padraig O’Kane first timed on a breaking ball and the game was out of St Mary’s reach at 3-11 to 0-7.

Worse was to follow with Fearghal Ó Caiside pulling a low ball to the net in the 48th minute and despite a couple of neat points from sub Lorcán Ó Ciaráin and midfielder Ciaran Crossan, Padraig O’Kane fired in a fifth Maghera goal three minutes from time.

2015 champions St Louis Ballymena are next on Maghera’s radar early next week, while Cross and Passion await the outcome of the last quarter-final between St Killian’s and An Dún.

St Patrick’s C Henry, O Magill, L McCann, R Mulholland, F Ó Caiside, T Walsh, R Mullan 0-8 f, P Quinn 0-2, M Quinn, F Bradley, P McLaughlin 1-2, M McCormick 0-1, P O’Kane 2-1, D Bradley 0-1, T McHugh 1-1

St Mary’s : C Sheehan, C McKernan, M Napier, C Shannon, D McEnhill 0-2, 0-1f, S Wilson, C McGettigan, M Close, M Mallon, D McKeogh, E McMenamin 0-1, C Crossan 0-1, A Bradley 0-5, 0-3f, P Doyle 0-2, D Murray.

Subs: L Ó Ciaráin 0-2 for M Mallon (28), C McParland for D McKeogh (43), R Fegan for C Shannon (52), R Gailbraith for D Murray (52), M Kerr for C McGettigan (58), D Wisdom for C Crossan (58).

Referee : Vincent Boyle (Dunloy)