An Dún through to Mageean Cup semi-finals

October 16, 2018

Danske Bank Mageean Cup quarter-final
An Dún 2-19 St Killian’s Garron Tower 2-11
GOALS for An Dún three minutes either side of half-time had a huge impact on this Danske Bank Mageean Cup quarter-final in Glengormley yesterday evening.
Caolan Coulter neatly placed Pádraig Dorrian for a simple finish in the 27th minute to open up a 1-12 to 1-7 lead and then Ronan Blair’s solo effort at the start of the second half ensured that this repeat of last season’s quarter-final was going to end once more in heart-break for St Killian’s Garron Tower.
In truth the Down combination team were the more accomplished hurlers with the more cohesive team-work. Despite Ciaran Magill firing over the first point for St Killian’s, An Dún hit the next six scores and by the 20th minute all six forwards and midfielder Phelim Savage had registered scores and they led 0-9 to 1-5 with Caolan O’Connor almost single-handedly keeping the north Antrim school in touch with 1-3.
The Tower defence battled gamely particularly during the third quarter when they held their opponents to just two scores. But their attack couldn’t take advantage of wayward shooting at the other end and it wasn’t until substitute Pearse McKeegan sparked a run of 1-3 that there seemed to be a bite in St Killian’s challenge.
After Magill’s opener, Tim Prentor got Down off the mark and scores followed for Stuart Martin (2), Caolan Coulter, Ronan Blair (free) and Phelim Savage by the 8th minute.
Caolan O’Connor hit back with three frees and Sean McKay made it 0-6 to 0-5, before the Down men responded with points from Blair and Dorrian.
O’Connor fired home a brilliant solo goal in the 18th minute to tie the game at 1-5 to 0-8 before McFarland, Martin and Blair opened up a gap with three quick points.
After Down’s goal they pressed on with points from Prentor and Blair to lead 1-14 to 1-7 at the break.
Although Caolan O’Connor opened the second half scoring with a free, Blair’s goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of St Killian’s and they went 20 minutes before sub Pearse McKeegan hit their next score.
An Dún didn’t really press home their advantage however although they were still far enough ahead to comfortably fend off a late rally from the Tower that saw Finlay Walker set up Sean McKay for a second goal and points from Kieran O’Boyle and Eoin Hynds.
But the rally came too late to impact on the final result with Ronan Blair fittingly bringing his tally to 1-8 with a late free.
An Dún : Cathal Lavery, Imran Hussain, Matt McAreavey, Aodhan Furlong, John Hughes, Ciaran Watson, Sean Campbell, Sean Hughes, Phelim Savage 0-2, Niall McParland 0-1, Stuart Martin 0-3, Caolan Coulter 0-1, , Padraig Dorrian 1-1, Ronan Blair 1-8, 0-4 frees, Tim Prentor 0-3.
Subbs : Francis Caldwell for T Prentor (52), Eoin Magee for C Coulter.
St Killian’s : Colm Mckeegan, Donal Kearney, Alexander McMullan, Liam McLoughlin, Ruairi McCollam, Tomas Scally, Cathal Hynds, Eoin Hynds 0-1, Aidan Ritson, Sean McKay 1-1, Caolan O’Connor 1-5, 0-3 frees, Oliver Kearney 0-1, Ciaran Magill 0-1, Finlay Walker, Fintan McQuillan.
Subs : Pearse McKeegan 0-1 for A Ritson (36), Kieran O’Boyle 0-1 for O Kearney (41), Aidan Scullion for R McCollam (52).
Referee : Brendan Toland (Antrim).