St Colman’s reach MacRory final

February 28, 2020

Danske Bank MacRory Cup
St Colman’s Newry 0-16 St Patrick’s Armagh 0-12

From Kevin Kelly in the Athletic Grounds

St Colman’s Newry will play St Patrick’s Maghera in the Danske Bank MacRory Cup final after winning a tense battle with St Patrick’s Armagh at the Athletic Grounds last night.

There was little between the sides throughout but in the home straight Cathal Murray’s charges got the decisive scores when it mattered most.
Only a point separated the two sides at the break with the Newry school marginally ahead at 0-6 to 0-5 but no doubt Armagh would have been the happier as they hit the final three scores.

Mark McKeever opened the scoring for Armagh from a free but St Colman’s were soon on level terms thanks to a placed ball conversion from full forward Andrew Gilmore.

McKeever then hit a fine effort from play but again Newry wasted no time in responding through Ronan Fitzpatrick. St Colman’s then enjoyed a purple patch as they took over in the key areas in the field.

Andrew Crimmins hit a brilliant score from out on the left wing before Fitzpatrick weighed in with an outstanding point from distance with the outside of his boot.

In the 16th minute St Colman’s were awarded a penalty when Crimmins was fouled by Callum McKee but the Armagh keeper redeemed himself with a superb save via the crossbar from Andrew Gilmore.

St Colman’s had their tails up at this stage and Padraig Clancy fired over a point from 40 metres out to leave it 0-6 to 0-2. Armagh looked to be in trouble at that stage but they re-grouped approaching the interval.}

Wing half back Sean Quigley joined the attack to split the posts before Oisín Conaty got his name on the scoresheet as well. McKeever then took a mark which he converted to leave it all to play for in the second period.

Conaty levelled matters within 60 seconds of the re-start but Crimmins restored St Colman’s advantage with a terrific effort from out on the wing. Ryan Bradley hit a good equaliser despite being under pressure before James Walsh and Gilmore exchanged scores.

A McKeever free edged Armagh back in front but St Colman’s replied with an outstanding mark with the outside of his boot from substitute Eamon Brown. At that stage centre half forward Cian McLoughlin really came to the fore for the winners with five of their last six scores.

His first was a great effort from play and he weighed in with a number of frees as well. Armagh lost Michael McGleenan to a black card and moments later it was 14 aside after Liam Fearon collected a second yellow.

McLoughlin nailed two frees either side of a point from play from Brown as Armagh finished with 13 players after Quigley was black carded.

St.Colman’s Newry: P McAteer, R Campbell, T Magee, R French, M Hynes, S O’Hare, P McGrane, L Fearon, C Lyons, R Fitzpatrick (0-2), P Clancy (0-1), C McLoughlin (0-5, 3F), D McCarthy, R Fitzpatrick, A Gilmore (0-4, 2F, 0-1 pen), A Crimmins (0-2).
Sub: E Brown (0-2, 1M) for Fitzpatrick

St Patrick’s Armagh: C McKee, O Guy, L Camarra, A Harney, S Quigley (0-1), C Toner, L McKenna, S Donaghy, K McCann, O Conaty (0-2), R Bradley (0-1), J Walsh (0-2), M McKeever (0-6, 3F, 1M), M McGleenan, O Houlahan.
Subs: K Robinson for Houlahan, M Lennon for McKenna
Referee: B Cassidy, Derry