Maghera’s last quarter seals semi-final spot

February 10, 2018

St Patrick’s Maghera 1-15 St Michael’s Enniskillen 1-7
From Kevin Kelly in Augher
St Patrick’s Maghera outscored their opponents 1-6 to 0-1 in the final dozen minutes to book their place in the Danske Bank MacRory Cup semi final following a tough encounter at Father Hackett Park in Augher on Saturday afternoon.
Trailing by five points at the break St Michael’s Enniskillen came out for the second half with all guns blazing and points from Conor Love and substitute Gavin McGovern coupled with a goal from the latter left the sides level at 1-6 to 0-9.
Questions were being asked of the pre-match favourites at this stage but they came up with all the answers with man of the match Lorcan McWilliams landing three scores either side of a 54th minute goal from Alex Doherty to give the Derry lads a flattering eight point victory.
It was McWilliams who fisted the first score but at the end of the opening quarter it was 0-2 apiece with Pol McKervey and Jude McAtamney among the points for their respective sides.
Richie Mullan and Fearghal McGovern exchanged points before wind-assisted Maghera moved two clear by the 20th minute thanks to two superb points from McWilliams and Tiarnan McHugh.
John Reihill then cut inside to first time the ball over the bar, but that proved to be Enniskillen’s last score of the opening half. McWilliams converted two frees and one from play with Eoin Hawe also on target for a 0-9 to 0-4 advantage at the short whistle.
Dominic Corrigan’s charges confidently took the game to their opponents on the re-start with those points from Love and McGovern although sandwiched in between they had a let off when Doherty’s shot was blocked on the goal line and McWilliams’ follow up hit the post.
In the 46th minute the sides were level after a long delivery in from midfielder Brandon Horan broke and McGovern reacted first to fire past keeper Niall McNicholl.
St Michael’s had their tails up but that’s when Maghera’s character really came to the fore. With Oisin McWilliams a key figure they dug deep, Oisin winning a free which his twin brother Lorcan converted.
It was a lead that Maghera weren’t to lose, and they grew in strength in the closing ten minutes. Lorcan McWilliams hit a brilliant score from out on the left wing before Doherty bagged that crucial goal.
It was a score that deflated St Michael’s and Hawe, Oisin McWilliams, Lorcan McWilliams and Doherty all tagged on late points with substitute Tom Keenan getting Enniskillen’s sole reply.
St Patrick’s Maghera: N McNicholl, E Mulholland, T Walsh, C McShane, D McNicholl, O McGill, P McLaughlin, O McWilliams (0-1), J McAtamney (0-1), E Hawe (0-2), R Mullan (0-1), D McLaughlin, A Doherty (1-1), L McWilliams (0-8, 4f), T McHugh (0-1).
Subs: T McCusker for Mulholland, A Tohill for Mullan, R Rafferty for McLaughlin
St Michael’s Enniskillen: S McNally, L Flanagan, L Owens, A McKenna, R Breen (0-1), J Lover, R Beattie, O Smyth, B Horan, M Gallagher, P McKervey (0-1), J Reihill (0-1), C Love (0-1, 1f), C McNally, F McGovern (0-1, 1f).
Subs: G McGovern (1-1) for McKervey, J Boyle for Beattie, M Glynn for Love, T Keenan (0-1) for F McGovern

Referee: K Eannetta (Omagh)