La Salle take Danske Bank Faul Cup

May 18, 2018

De La Salle Belfast 4-9 Dean Maguirc Carrickmore 2-8
From Kevin Kelly in Tír na nÓg Portadown
De La Salle’s greater scoring threat up front proved to key at Tír na nÓg in Portadown yesterday afternoon as they deservedly collected the Danske Bank Faul Cup at the expense of a battling Dean Maguirc Carrickmore side.
All of the winner’s tally came from their forward division while on the other hand their opponents managed just two points from their attackers. The Dean looked the better side early on and after Daniel Smyth and Michael Rafferty had traded points, centre half forward Oisin Rafferty grabbed a well taken 9th minute goal.
Dean Maguirc keeper Gary McAleer made a couple of good saves but at the end of the opening quarter he was beaten by a fine goal from Cormac Austin. Within two minutes though the Tyrone lads had their noses back in front when good work from Ryan Haughey saw him lay the ball off for Rafferty to palm home from close range.
Smyth knocked over a free but with 20 minutes gone on the clock Dean Maguirc were still ahead by three after midfielder Ronan Fox had split the posts. All that was about to change though as De La Salle finished the half strongly.
Corner forward Tiarnan Munce lobbed the ball to the net to level matters and either side of points from Smyth and Austin they got a third goal via Conall McGuigan to enjoy a 3-4 to 2-2 interval advantage.
De La Salle picked up where they had left off on the re-start with Smyth converting another free before centre half back Corey Gillen charged forward to land an inspirational score for Dean Maguirc.
The same player then fired over another fine effort from distance and it looked at this stage as though Dean Maguirc were going to mount a comeback. De La Salle though always looked dangerous when going forward with Austin, Smyth, McGuigan and Brian Healy to the fore and after the latter had pointed he weighed in with a goal sixty seconds later.
Eight points divided the sides going into the final quarter but Dean Maguirc refused to throw in the towel. Conal Murray and Ryan Coyle both pointed as did Conor Kelly when his fierce shot just cleared the bar.
Smyth and Rafferty traded points from frees but fittingly it was the new champions who had the final say with a terrific effort from play from out on the right wing from Austin.
De La Salle Belfast: J Miskimmon, K Gorman, C Donnelly, C Connolly, A Soda, T Duff, O McCann, R McConville, L Walsh, J McCullough, C Austin (1-2), D Smyth (0-5, 4f), T Munce (1-0), C McGuigan (1-0), B Healy (1-2).
Subs: S Barr for Walsh, F Ward for Barr

Dean Maguirc Carrickmore: G McAleer, B McCallan, C Kelly (0-1), A Morris, T Duff, C Gillen (0-2), R Dobbs, M Rafferty (0-2, 1f), R Fox (0-1), R Coyle (0-1), O Rafferty (2-0), D Coney, D McPhillips, C Murray (0-1), R Haughey.
Subs: J Hughes for McPhillips, P Byrne for Haughey
Referee: S O’Neill, Armagh