Goals make a difference for Colman’s

February 19, 2020

Danske Bank MacRory Cup quarter-final
St Colman’s Newry 2-9 St Eunan’s Letterkenny 0-11

THE opening score of this Danske Bank MacRory Cup quarter-final at the Dub yesterday probably set the tone for the rest of the game.

Adam Crimmins took a mark on the right wing and Ronan Fitzpatrick made a great run across from the left. Crimmins spotted him and sent in a great pass that Fitzpatrick took at pace and buried in the net. He added a point within a minute.

From that fine start for the Newry team, St Eunan’s were essentially chasing the game. They made a good fist of it until the second goal in the 38th minute galvanised St Colman’s and they eased through to next week’s semis.

On a slippery surface mistakes were plentiful, but so too were the passages of good football from both sides, St Eunan’s the stronger running side in the opening half and St Colman’s the more creative particularly when they got into their rhythm during the final quarter.

After that early burst from Fitzpatrick, Letterkenny hit back with three points, two from Shane Monaghan and the other from Eoin Dowling.
Andrew Gilmore hit the base of the post with a goal chance for St Colman’s but later added a point after good work from Crimmins on the right wing.
Shane O’Donnell replied with his first point, but St Colman’s finished the half strongly with two Gilmore frees and a mark from Crimmins, 1-5 to 0-4 at the break.

Liam Fearon pointed on the re-start but points from O’Donnell, Jack Gallagher and Monaghan closed the gap to 1-6 to 0-7 in the 36th minute.
Then came the second goal for St Colman’s. It involved a number of players before Tony Magee found Gilmore and he squeezed it past Emmett Maguire from a tight angle.

Although St Eunan’s hit back with four of the next five points, they were being forced to shoot from distance, while Newry broke at pace and threatened more goals.

The gap was reduced to two when Kealan Dunleavy burst through to the centre for a good point from St Eunan’s in the 52nd minute. But Ronan Campbell fisted one at the other end and Cian Lyons added an insurance score as the game headed into added time.

St Colman’s Newry: P McAteer, R Campbell (0-1), T Magee, P McGrane, M Hynes, S O’Hare, R French, L Fearon (0-1), C Lyons (0-1), R Fitzpatrick (1-1), A Crimmins (0-1 free), D McCarthy, C McLaughlin (0-1), A Gilmore (1-3, 0-2 frees), P Clancy
Subs:  E Browne for R Fitzpatrick, J Kelly for P Clancy (48), C McElroy for S O’Hare (55)

St Eunan’s: E Maguire; C Cassidy, J Grant, K Tobin, D Doogan, J Gallagher (0-1), C McDermott; K Dunleavy (0-1), E Dowling (0-1); E O’Boyle, O Winston (0-2, 0-1 free) D Boyle; S Monaghan (0-3, 0-2 frees), J Alcorn, S O’Donnell (0-3, 0-1 free).

Subs : S Gallagher for D Doogan (50), C McGinty for D Boyle (50).

Referee : M Loughran (Tyrone)