Convent wins another Rannafast thriller

November 23, 2019

Danske Bank Rannafast Cup semi-final
St Mary’s Magherafelt 3-10 St Michael’s Enniskillen 3-8
A GAME of three penalties, all scored, then another clear cut penalty when play was waved on and an Enniskillen goal resulted and a couple of point blank saves from each goalie! This Danske Bank Rannafast Cup semi-final in Killyclogher certainly had plenty of goal-mouth entertainment – although that wasn’t how it looked to be shaping up during the opening quarter.
After 18 minutes, St Mary’s Magherafelt were three points up, all three coming from the boot of Terry Devlin. They added two more over the next three minutes before St Michael’s opened their account with a free from Diarmuid King.
Just before half-time came the first of those penalty awards and it looked a harsh call. Terry Devlin however stepped up to slot it home and the Convent held a 1-5 to 0-3 interval lead with King converting all Enniskillen’s scores.
But Devlin was doing damage at the other end and a couple of minutes into the second half he sent a brilliant drive to the roof of the Enniskillen net.
Back came the Fermanagh boys in the 42nd minute with a good move and a clear penalty infringement, although Mícheál Flannagan forced the ball over the line anyway.
However right from the kick-out the ball was worked down-field and Conhur Johnston fielded a high ball and crashed home a Magherafelt goal to make it 3-7 to 1-5.
Within a few minutes Diarmuid King had closed the gap again converting a penalty for 3-8 to 2-5 and although Johnston and Niall O’Donnell stretched the Convent lead, they were left hanging on for the final whistle after King converted his second penalty a couple of minutes from time.
St Mary’s Magherafelt : Terry Devlin (2-6, 1-0 pen, 0-5 frees), Conhur Johnston (1-1), Ryan McEldowney (0-1), Niall O’Donnell (0-1), Ruairí Forbes (0-1)
St Michael’s : Diarmuid King (2-7, 2-0 pen, 0-5 frees), Michael Flannigan (1-0), James Fionnán O’Brien (0-1free)